When your family decides to attend childcare, get ready to smoothen the transition.
- Extra clothes (extra layers with at least 2-3 outfit changes);
- Diaper supplies (diapers, diaper cream, wipes);
- Nap supplies (blankets, sleep sacks);
- Feeding supplies for infants (bottles, nipples, liners, milk, or formula);
- Waterproof/rain clothes and boots ( for wet season);
- Sunscreen/hats (for a hot season);
- Water bottle.
Start the same schedule they have in a childcare center;
- Wake up no later than 8 a.m. on weekdays;
- Bedtime at around 8 p.m.;
- Lunch is between 11 a.m. and 12 p.m.;
- Nap time (Toddlers, Preschool, Pre-K) is between 12 p.m. and 2 p.m.;
- Offer finger food for toddlers;
- Teach them simple sign language (More, Eat, Drink, All done, Water, Milk);
- Practice short separations and work toward longer ones.
- Visit the Center;
- Spend a couple of hours with their class;
- Introduce teachers to them;
- Let them play;
- Share your kids' needs with a teacher;
- Talk about what you will do together later;
- Leave a soft toy or blanket with your child to help ease the separation;
- Comfort your child when they are afraid;
- Express your happiness about your kids' new adventure;
- Make goodbyes quick and positive;
- Hug and kiss your child and promise to come back soon to pick them up;
- Pick them up before nap time for a couple of days;
- Gradually work towards longer stay depending on their reaction.